APTA Hand and Upper Extremity promotes education and research in hand and upper extremity physical therapy, while advocating for the ever-changing needs of the communities it serves.
By 2020, APTA Hand and Upper Extremity will be recognized by consumers and other
health care practitioners as the leaders and experts in the examination, rehabilitation and prevention of
hand and upper extremity impairments. To these ends, APTA Hand and Upper Extremity will increase the introduction of
physical therapists to the specialty of hand therapy, provide effective mentoring by experienced
clinicians, and provide information about educational opportunities.
Click to download the 2020 Bylaws.
Member Benefits and How to Join
If you are interested in joining APTA Hand and Upper Extremity, please visit the membership page on APTA’s website. Under Chapters & Sections, click “Add a Section” (you MUST be a current member of APTA).
Your choice to pursue a special interest in upper extremity rehabilitation gives you access to resources
through which you can explore all areas of hand therapy. Benefits of belonging to APTA Hand and Upper Extremity are:
- HANDPRINTS E-NEWSLETTER: Delivered to your e-mail periodically throughout the year to provide information on practice issues, course advertisements, and Academy activities and announcements.
- CONTINUING EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES: Active members receive discounts on registration fees for Academy sponsored continuing education programming.
- LEGISLATIVE REPRESENTATION: Our Academy legislative chair, in partnership with APTA, lobbies for and notifies the members of issues that affect the practice of hand therapy for physical therapists. Historically, we have leaders in supporting PT-PAC, which insures our voice is heard on Capitol Hill.
- COMMITTEE PARTICIPATION: Our Academy offers members the opportunity to participate in a variety of task force and committee activities that are task and time specific. We are always looking for members to be engaged in Academy activities.
- NETWORKING: Our Academy facilitates networking among its members through biannual business meetings, enewsletter, website, online community, and continuing education courses. Additionally, any of our Board of Directors welcome member questions, concerns and requests for mentorship.
- PROMOTE RESEARCH: Our Academy is committed to funding clinical research that examines hand and upper extremity practice issues. (See research grant information below.) Dissemination of clinical research is propagated through platform and poster presentations at the Combined Sections Meeting of the APTA.
- ACADEMY ONLINE COMMUNITY: A virtual community of Academy members where you can collaborate and engage in lively dialogue with your colleagues about practice questions, CSM, Academy initiatives, etc. The online community is your bridge to other members with an interest in hand and upper extremity physical therapy. As an Academy member, you can go to www.apta.org and click on “APTA Communities” to see the Hand Academy’s Community – make sure to sign up for alerts, so you don’t miss anything!
Hand & Upper Extremity Leadership
Jane Fedorczyk, PT, PhD, CHT
VICE PRESIDENT/PROGRAM CHAIR
Mia Erickson PT, EdD, CHT
Scott Stevenson, PT, CHT
Emily Altman, PT, DPT, CHT
Julie Newman, PTA
PRACTICE AFFAIRS COORDINATOR
Marsha Lawrence, PT, DPT, CHT
Jamie Grigsby, PT, DPT
RESEARCH / CPG COMMITTEE
Ann Lucaso, PT, PhD, CHT
CSM PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Mia Erickson, PT, EdD, CHT
Ericka Lewis, PT, EdD, CHT
Carol Waggy, PT
Danielle Watts, PT, DPT, CHT - Chair
Susan Stralka, PT, DPT, MS - Member
Christos Karagianopolis, PT, PhD, CHT – Member